· International photography competition aims to stimulate dialogue on key global challenges
· $65,000 in prizes and professional commission
· Deadline for entries is January 15, 2013
The award offers a unique opportunity to explore the dynamics of the world we live in through compelling images. In its inaugural year, the theme is “Rural-Urban”, exploring the relationship and tensions between rural and urban environments. The deadline for entries is January 15, 2013.
Entries will be judged by a distinguished international panel chaired by the author and curator William A. Ewing. Speaking of his hopes for the award Ewing said “I am honored to be part of an award that seeks to use photography to stimulate global debate about critically important issues. Photography transcends language, and at its very best it can have far-reaching impact. This award offers an opportunity not only to celebrate great work by photographers who feel passionately about the issues they address, but also the real possibility that the ensuing dialogue will be a forceful agent for change.”
The Syngenta Photography Award is free to enter and has two categories: Professional Commission and Open Competition. Professional photographers are invited to compete for a commission by submitting an original proposal related to the rural-urban theme. The Open Competition welcomes all photographers of all levels. The Award offers prizes and a professional commission totaling $65,000.
The winners will be announced on May 15, 2013 at an awards ceremony and exhibition at Somerset House, London.
Notes to the editor:
· Media inquiries relating to the Syngenta Photography Award can be addressed to: Jane Acton, Amy Barder or Ellie Hughes at Four Colman Getty
Tel: + 44 (0) 870 626 9000.
· The competition closes on January 15, 2013.
· The competition is free to enter.
· All images must have been taken in the last 10 years.
· The Open Competition is open to both professional and amateur photographers. The judges will award a first, second and third place winner who will receive $5,000, $3,000, and $2,000 respectively.
· The Professional Commission is for professional photographers whose major income is derived from photography. In judging the entries, the panel will not only be looking for the ability to design and complete a commission, but also the talent to communicate a compelling narrative through photography. The first place winner will receive a $15,000 prize, in addition to up to $25,000 to complete the commission. The second and third place winners will receive $10,000 and $5,000 respectively.
· The judging panel this year is chaired by the author and curator William A. Ewing. Ewing replaces the original Awards Chair, South African photographer, Jodi Bieber, who has had to step down for personal reasons.The other members of the panel are: Irina Chmyreva (Russia) curator and researcher of photography; Stephen Dunbar-Johnson (UK) publisher, International Herald Tribune; Milton Guran (Brazil) curator and photographer; Malu Halasa (Jordan/Philippines) writer and editor; Marcus Lyon (UK) photographer; Mike Mack (US) Syngenta Chief Executive Officer; and Liu Heung Shing (China) photographer and photo editor.
· For full details of the Syngenta Photography Award, please visit www.syngentaphoto.com. This media release is also available on the site in Chinese.
Please Retweet #photographyShow