HR Manager at Drik
Human Resource Manager: A dynamic person to be in charge of all HR functions of the entire organization along with its branches and initiatives including recruitment, assist the authority in establishing, developing, implementing and maintaining the management system of the company, ensure job analysis, description and determine competency level for each position, induction, conduct annual performance evaluations, training and development, administration of Drik’s HR & Admin policy manual, personnel record-keeping, and team member safety issues, and compliance with HR laws and regulations.
Must have adequate updated knowledge on labour code, compensation & benefit issues, compliance related issues etc.
The incumbent should be an MBA major in HR or equivalent. Post Graduation Diploma in HRM along with minimum 5 years’ practical HR Management experience of working for any reputed local/multi-national company, preferably as a Manager, HR. Excellent communication skills a prerequisite.
Send a brief resume to Drik, House 58, Road 15A, Dhanmondi, Dhaka 1209 by 5 June 2010 with the name of post on top of envelope or email to email@example.com. A detailed Job Description is available at www.drik.net/vacancies/
Drik is an equal opportunity employer
Women candidates are especially encouraged to apply
TV Researches Needed at BBC World Service Trust
The BBC World Service Trust is the BBC’s international development agency. Working in over 40 countries worldwide, the Trust uses media and communications to reduce poverty and promote human rights. In Bangladesh, the Trust is supporting and expanding programming in its key areas of focus. This includes a major project using the media to improve English language skills.
Part of this initiative is BBC Buzz, a prime-time television series which has just finished its second series. BBC Buzz is a magazine show, targeted at the country’s aspirational youth and celebrating the best of everyday life in Bangladesh. The BBC World Service Trust is looking for Researchers to work on BBC Buzz. Researchers will receive training in TV production, directing, editing and package-making. The terms of reference and required experience are listed below:
• Provide support to producers and other programme staff by undertaking research into any subject or issue relevant to the programme.
• Evaluate information and material and present it to the producer in an appropriate form.
• Provide comprehensive research notes.
• Contribute ideas for new series and programmes.
• Create clear and concise briefs on potential stories and contributors.
• Work with presenters and contributors on location both for filming and recces.
• Assist in general programme duties as required.
• Be prepared to work as part of a strong and effective team, consistent with BBC values.
• Be able to demonstrate judgement on appropriate referral of issues to more experienced members of the production team.
• Take responsibility for delivering to tight deadlines while maintaining the highest journalistic standards.
• Suggest strong stories and offer creative and compelling ways of presenting research material within the programme.
• Find and make initial contact with appropriate contributors; ascertain their views; brief them on the programme intentions; make arrangements for them to be filmed; and look after them before during and after filming.
• When requested, to attend filming and carry out duties as required, including DV shooting/operating sound.
• Assist in assembling programme material in its final form. This can include the preparation of interview questions, draft scripts and assembly and preparation of material for rostrum work.
• Qualified professional with university degree and a demonstrated interest in television production.
• Experience as a factual television researcher and/or a track record in journalism in other media
• Understanding of how to generate programme ideas/stories, particularly those that appeal to young audiences.
• Able to source information and contributors from primary sources.
• Strong analytical thinking and the ability to assess information to provide accurate and engaging summaries of research
• Ability to work co-operatively as part of a team and to communicate effectively.
• Fluency in both written and spoken English and Bangla.
To apply for this role, candidates need to submit their CVs along with a covering letter and two ideas for short features on BBC Buzz. Each idea should be no more than 250 words and should be original features which would appeal to our target audience.
All applications should be written in English and sent to BBCWST-Dhaka, HR Officer
Goethe-Institut is the cultural institute of the Federal Republic of Germany with a global reach. We promote knowledge of the German language abroad and foster international cultural cooperation. We convey a comprehensive picture of Germany by providing information on Germany’s cultural, social and political life. Goethe-Institut Bangladesh is currently is seeking a qualified and experienced candidate to fill the position of a Cultural Programme Coordinator
Experiences and qualifications
· Experience in program and cultural-event management
· Well connected to the cultural scene, passion for culture and a sense for new trends and cultural developments
· Strong communication skills in both Bangla and English, German is beneficial
· Ability to maintain a good network of partners
· Team oriented but also strong ability to work independent and on own responsibility
· Ability to represent Goethe Institut .
· Ablity to prioritize and work to tight deadlines, stress approved.
· Design, coordinate and implement a variety of cultural programmes at the Goethe-Institut (GI) Bangladesh and off-site locations.
· Write and provide all programme related materials such as posters, leaflets, banners and disseminate information to general public and to the Press.
· Write and prepare the three-monthly programme brochure and manages all aspects of printing and distribution. Provides text and photos to webmaster to be used for GI website.
· Plan budget and schedules programmes. Coordinates all internal and administrative requirements related to programmes (film, exhibition, concert, seminar, literature, workshop etc.), including initial contracting, support of participants (scholars, artists, speakers etc.), arranging lodging, photographic services, audio-visual, publicity and any other programme related logistical arrangements.
· Recommend and justify procurement of equipment and supplies for workshop and all programmes in general.
· Monitor and manage the auditorium and other GI space facility schedule (auditorium, terrace, café, exhibition gallery) for GI and partner programmes and additionally for non-partner programme rentals for cultural events.
· Maintain on-going discussions with partner organizations and artists. Evaluates and improves method of presentations, adapts to meet special need of the Cultural partners and artists to ensure quality. Evaluates and acquires new partners with advice and assistance of Director.
· Write invoices against all programme expenditures, contracts and arranges payments for those invoices and honorariums with Administration Dept.
· Provide support to our language partner schools (PASCH ) and Interns as needed basis.
· Assist Director with supervision of cultural programmes, including conceiving and planning programmes to be conducted at GI and other locations, preparing individual programme budget and recommending staffing needs. General office work- filing, telephone, email correspondence. English and and Bangla correspondence a must. Some knowledge of German strongly recommended, if not readiness to study German.
Location: This position is based in Goethe Institut Bangladesh at our office in Dhanmondi, however cultural locations can be also outside Dhanmondi
Duration: Full-time work
Salary: 46 000 Taka/month. Increase after 6 months,
Benefits: Training courses (language as well as on German cultural topics ) medical support, 20 days annual leave, pension.
Job beginn: 01.09.2009
Interested candidates are requested to send their application letter and comprehensive curriculum vitae (CV) highlighting relevant experience to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to:
Director of the Goethe-Institut Bangladesh, House 10, Road 9, Dhanmondi R/A, Dhaka 1205
Applications must be submitted before 23. August 2009 and will not be returned.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview.
Jobs at award winning citizen journalism site
Wanted for www.demotix.com
1. Editorial Sales Director – the chance of lifetime to help build out a paradigm-changing business. The perfect candidate will be extremely dynamic, imaginative, enthusiastic and driven, with experience in the editorial sector, looking for the challenge of a lifetime with an award-winning and paradigm-changing team based in London. More here
2. Drupal developer – at the coalface of the Demotix tech operation. The role includes software development using PHP5, MySQL, xhtml, CSS and the Drupal API, working closely with external development teams and management to help steer the technical direction of the site. More here
TV News Reporter and Presenter
” News and Image < http://newsandimages.net >, an online video news channel is looking for dynamic young man/woman, who wants career as a journalist. the online channel is in English, so interested persons must be good at written and spoken English. Experience not needed, but passion for journalism is necessary.”
Please contact: email@example.com
Drik, as an equal opportunity employer offers the following to dedicated and dynamic personnelA challenging and stimulating work environment for young and experienced people to gain experience and insights on both media and development. ·A meritocracy - where skill, creativity and competence are valued far more than mere qualifications ·A non-hierarchical, first-name-based, ‘ideas organisation’ ·A smoke-free working environment ·
Opportunities to represent Drik at regional and international seminars, conferences and workshops
An environment where learning is encouraged and training opportunities provided. ·
Gratuity, Provident Fund, Maternity and Paternity leave, Meal Allowances, Two Festival Bonuses, etc. Staff positions are currently on local salary basis. Non-nationals already based in Bangladesh may also be considered.Current vacanciesPR Executive for the Managing DirectorTo assist in the Managing Director’s office in maintaining routine correspondence, newsletters, MD’s appointments & schedules, travel and general administration. Should be extremely methodical and organized with a sharp sense for detail and accuracy. Should be a problem solver, with anticipatory skills. Thorough knowledge in MS Office tools for correspondence and data management, expert skills in writing, communication and team work is essential. This is a dynamic, proactive role with long working hours which involves liaising with local and international clients across different time zones.Web DesignerThe Multimedia Department has an immediate vacancy for a Web Designer cum Team Leader for its marketing and web based digital media design and development. Ability to create and develop dynamic websites for multiple clients as well as in-house websites with thorough theoretical, scripting and practical experience in Domain Registration, Web Hosting, PHP, MySql based web application, Macromedia Flash, Dream Weaver, Joomla and Drupal is imperative.Please send your brief resume with a recent photograph to Drik, House 58, Road 15A, Dhanmondi, Dhaka 1209 by 5 June, 2009. Mark the name of the post on the top of the envelope. You can also email your application .----------------
PART-TIME REPORTER POSITION
AFP’s Dhaka bureau has a rare opening for an English-speaking part-time reporter for 20 hours a week.
Our current reporter has an excellent news sense and possesses an amazing talent for spotting offbeat, unusual stories, adding a huge contribution to AFP’s coverage in Bangladesh.
He is relentless at getting quotes for a story, tracking people down and is an excellent translator. He is accurate and quick and is also a general all-round nice guy and a pleasure to have in the office. I am looking for someone with similar skills to replace him.
The salary would suit a recent graduate. It is an excellent opportunity for a journalist seeking to improve their reporting and writing skills while working for an international news agency. Our current reporter supplements his salary by freelancing for overseas publications but is also flexible to work outside his normal hours. Overtime is paid for extra hours.
Good written English is not essential but would be an advantage.
The successful candidate would mainly be working with myself on stories, as a Bengali speaker when I am in the office alone, but also with deputy bureau chief Shafiq Alam and photographer Munir uz Zaman. The reporter is usually the person who we send to the scene when a big story breaks.
There is some administration work, including helping get accreditation from the government for VIP visits and collating stories for our data base.
We have a small but lively office with lots of discussion about how to cover stories. The new person would need to work well in a team environment.
If you think of anyone could you please ask CVs to be sent my way via email. The position starts late May.
Agence France-Presse (AFP)
BSB Building, 5th floor
8 RAJUK Avenue
Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
Tel: +880 2 955 5701, +88 2 956 2234
Mob: +880 1711 591 211
Fax: +880 2 956 2007
Jobs at Drik
Drik, as an equal opportunity employer offers the following to dedicated and dynamic personnel
• A challenging and stimulating work environment for young and experienced people to gain experience and insights on both media and development.
• A meritocracy – where skill, creativity and competence are valued far more than mere qualifications
• A non-hierarchical, first-name-based, ‘ideas organisation’
• A smoke-free working environment
• Opportunities to represent Drik at regional and international seminars, conferences and workshops
• An environment where learning is encouraged and training opportunities provided.
• Gratuity, Provident Fund, Maternity and Paternity leave, Meal Allowances, Two Festival Bonuses, etc.
Staff positions are currently on local salary basis. Non-nationals already based in Bangladesh may also be considered.
To provide general and financial accounting as well as administrative support to the organization. His/her functions will be preparation of annual budget, financial reports, account reconciliation, corporate and project fund management, taxes and audit support. Ability to operate independently is essential.
The ideal candidate should possess a CA (inter)/Master’s degree in Finance/Accounting with at least 5 years experience in private sector/business house. Experience in using Tally and MS Excel spreadsheets for management information is a necessary requirement.
PR Executive for the Managing Director
To assist in the Managing Director’s office in maintaining routine correspondence, newsletters, MD’s appointments & schedules, travel and general administration. Should be extremely methodical and organized with a sharp sense for detail and accuracy. Should be a problem solver, with anticipatory skills.
Thorough knowledge in MS Office tools for correspondence and data management, expert skills in writing, communication and team work is essential. This is a dynamic, proactive role with long working hours which involves liaising with local and international clients across different time zones.
To assist the Publication team specifically in the printing department. Knowledge and experience in digital printing management required. Design software knowledge (Photoshop, Illustrator, Quarkexpress and any other) would be an added advantage. Proficiency in English is an essential requisite.
The Multimedia Department has an immediate vacancy for a Web Designer cum Team Leader for its marketing and web based digital media design and development. Ability to create and develop dynamic websites for multiple clients as well as in-house websites with thorough theoretical, scripting and practical experience in Domain Registration, Web Hosting, PHP, MySql based web application, Macromedia Flash, Dream Weaver, Joomla and Drupal is imperative.
The photo studio has a vacancy for an experienced and skilled photographer. Graduates with qualification in photojournalism will be given preference. A working experience of minimum three years in photojournalism is essential.
Please send your brief resume with a recent photograph to Drik, House 58, Road 15A, Dhanmondi, Dhaka 1209 by 4 April, 2009. Mark the name of the post on the top of the envelope. You can also email your application.
Fixer for John Stanmeyer
My friend John Stanmeyer of the agency VII will be coming to Bangladesh on the 26th November. I am helping him in locating a good fixer for 8-10 days. Let me know if you are interested.
John Stanmeyer is a co-founding member of VII, is a contract photographer with Time Magazine since 1998, and works regularly on assignment with National Geographic magazine.
Born in the United States and presently living in Indonesia, the 43-year-old has spent more than 10 years focusing on Asian issues. For seven years, he has been working on a book about the AIDS epidemic throughout Asia, as well as continuing his photographic documentation on the radical changes in Indonesia since 1997. He has been the recipient of numerous honors, including the Robert Capa, Magazine Photographer of the Year, as well as World Press and Picture of the Year awards.
Recognitions:_Robert Capa- 2000, NPPA First Place Feature Story, Mental Health in Asia/2004, World Press- 1999, POY-Magazine Photographer of the Year/1 st place 1999, POY-Magazine Photographer of the Year/2 nd place 2001, POY-Magazine Photographer of the Year/3 rd place 2002, POY-Issues Reporting 1 st place: Indonesia 2002, POY-Issues Reporting 1 st place: Afghanistan and China 2001, POY-News Feature Story: Fall of Indonesian President 2001, POY-Issues Reporting: Afghanistan and China 2001, POY-News Picture Story 1999, POY-Picture Story 1999, POY-Global News 1998, POY-Portrait/Sudan 1993, NPPA -News Feature Story 2001, FCC-News Feature Story 2001& 2002, SOPA (Society of Publishers in Asia)-Best News Photography: 2000, 2001, 2003, PDN (Photo district News)-First Place, Features: Vietnam 2000. SAJA, First Place, Pakistan/India 2003, SAJA Award, Pakistan, Karachi & Mental Health in Asia, 2004.
Khaled Adnan is now working with John Stanmeyer
AFP Dhaka needs a photographer
AFP Dhaka currently has an opening for a photographer which will probably begin in January 2009. The candidate would need to speak fluent English. He/she would also need to write captions in English.
They are also looking for a temporary photographer for a one-month period for the month of December. This person would also be welcome to apply for the permanent position, but it would not necessarily guarantee them the job.
If you are interested in either the temporary post or the permanent position, please send me a recent CV and a link to your best work. Please do not send me images by email.
Agence France-Presse (AFP) has 2,900 staff and stringers spread across 165 countries… and produces 400,000 – 600,000 words, 2 to 3,000 photos and 80 news graphics and 30 video clips each day. It has around the worldJournalists in 165 countries in 5 regional headquarters.
Muniruzzaman has been appointed the photographer for AFP
AIN O SALISH KENDRA (ASK)
Designation: Assistant Researcher (1 Person)
• Implement all planned activities of the unit
• Assist research activities
• Identify research needs; data collection, tabulation and analysis.
• Prepare questionnaires, tables and research report, prepare case studies and reports
• Conduct surveys and FGD
• Collect information from government and non-government institutions and prepare bibliography.
• Filing documents, prepare bills, vouchers and budgets etc
• Masters Degree of Social Science or equivalent or LL.M. The applicant with experience in research work will be given preference.
• Competency in English (Writing and speaking)
• Women are encouraged to apply.
Salary: As per ASK Salary Structure.
Applications with CV and names of referees, and one passport size photograph are to be submitted by November 15, 2008 to The Executive Director, Ain o Salish Kendra (ASK), 26/3 Purana Paltan Line, Dhaka 1000.
ASK is a Fair Opportunities Employer. Any persuasion will be considered as disqualification of the candidate.
Panos South Asia
Country Representative, Bangladesh
Station: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Reporting to: Executive Director
The Job description
Provide leadership and vision in developing Bangladesh operations as a country office of the Panos Institute. Develop the office as an independent information and communications organisation with a reputation for quality, innovation and influence in Bangladesh, the region and internationally.
Encourage a working environment that promotes creative thinking and assists staff to achieve their full potential in working within an equal opportunities framework. Manage and build a highly effective and motivated team of specialist staff based in Bangladesh.
Develop medium to long-term strategy for Bangladesh, including a strategy for institutional sustainability of the country office through regional fund-raising, cost recovery and sale of services where appropriate.
Institutional and Programme Development and implementation
Ensure that the country office maintains a strong profile in all its relevant constituencies and particularly among donors, the media, international and governmental organisations, government departments, NGO and research communities.
In accordance with Panos’ values and principles, promote debate about the role of information in development and raise the profile of the country office through research, writing, broadcasting, conference papers and well-targeted dissemination of Panos South Asia publications and activities.
Maintain links with other NGOs, media partners and regional and international
institutions, forge appropriate alliances, and play an active role in national and regional networking.
Develop and manage new projects and activities in consultation with the Executive Director and Director of Programmes, Panos programme staff and contribute to the Project Coordination Meetings.
Manage on-going projects and contracts in Bangladesh including sub-contracted consultancies, commissions and editorial and production services, and fulfilment of donor reporting requirements.
Manage regional projects involving Media Pluralism theme and ICT4D related activities.
Management, funding and financial control
Ensure that effective management structures are in place in Bangladesh to achieve the organisation’s goals.
Provide overall strategic context and leadership for appropriate planning in the country office, including the budgeting process, targets, standards, and monitoring and evaluation procedures.
Establish and manage line-management structures and where necessary recruit
national staff; maintain and develop effective network of national consultants and freelancers. Ensure personnel policies meet legal requirements and are in-line with Panos employment codes of practice.
Maintain regular contact with and report to the Executive Director, attend the Senior Management Team meetings of Panos South Asia, attend other inter-office meetings as required. Produce the required narrative reports to fulfil the statutory obligations in Bangladesh. .
Responsible for developing and implementing a national fundraising strategy
Manage the finances of the country office, and coordinate with the Chief Financial Officer and follow appropriate accounting controls.
Draw up annual work plan and budget for the Executive Director’s approval.
The Department of Geography, Trinity College Dublin (www.tcd.ie/Geography/) is seeking a post-doctoral researcher to work on a 4-year project in the area of consumption, environment and sustainability (ConsEnSus). The project is funded by the Environmental Protection Agency under the STRIVE programme (www.epa.ie). ConsEnSus is a collaborative project between the Department of Geography, Trinity College Dublin, the School of Political Science and Sociology, NUI, Galway, and the Department of Geography, NUI, Galway. The research will focus on four key areas of household (over)consumption that currently impact negatively on the environment and hamper sustainable development: transport, energy, water and food.
The position will start in January 2009 and will attract a salary of approximately EUR 48,000 including a 10% pension contribution.
The candidate should demonstrate both a strong academic background in the social sciences and good project management skills (including budget monitoring, web-design skills, Excel and other applications). Candidates should hold a PhD upon commencing this post. The ideal candidate will have research experience in the areas of environmental policy and quantitative and qualitative research methods. A background in environmental economics would be an advantage.
Please email an electronic copy of your CV with publications list, cover letter and a list of 3 references to:
Managing Editor Prince Claus Fund Library
Dear friend of the Prince Claus Fund,
It is our pleasure to herewith inform you that the Prince Claus Fund is looking for a Managing Editor of the Prince Claus Fund Library.
Please find attached the profile and job description for this position.
For more information: http://www.princeclausfund.org/en/what_we_do/publications/library.shtml
We would like to ask you to distribute this information to persons and organisations that could be of help in finding the right person for this position.
Thank you in advance,
Postdoctoral Fellow – Consumption, Environment and Sustainability
University of Dublin, Trinity College,Show
Status: 4 year contract
Salary: EUR 48,000 including a 10% pension contribution
Closing Date: 12 noon on Friday, 17th October, 2008Post Summary